There are many historic mines around the Sugarloaf area, some of them mining into the mountain itself.
-In July 1888 the West Wallsend Coal Co. colliery commenced production. It closed c.1925
-Seaham Colliery in 1891-92.
-West Wallsend Extended (Killingworth) opened in 1892.
-Seaham No. 2 was opened in 1905 – 1945
-Mount Sugarloaf Colliery was situated at West Wallsend in the shadow of Sugarloaf Mountain. It operated from 1949-1978.