Planning for the Outer Sydney Orbital Stage 2
By 2031, the Western Parkland City will be home to over half of Sydney’s population. To meet the needs of this growing community, we are planning ahead to ensure future transport links are available for people and businesses across the Western Parkland City including the Greater Macarthur Growth Area, and with the neighbouring Illawarra and Shoalhaven region.
Transport for NSW is currently investigating a future transport link between the Hume Motorway and Appin Road, south east of Appin township as part of the Outer Sydney Orbital Stage 2. The corridor will provide for a future road that connects Western Sydney and the Illawarra-Shoalhaven region, as well as serving new housing development and employment growth which is anticipated in the Greater Macarthur Growth Area.
The Outer Sydney Orbital Stage 2 corridor investigation will also consider the need for corridor between the Greater Macarthur Growth Area and Picton Road to supplement Picton Road’s capacity through Wilton and divert inter-regional through-traffic away from the area. Studies are also underway into the potential future upgrade of Picton Road between its interchanges with the Hume and Princes Motorways
- Provide communities with transport connections between the Western Parkland City and the Illawarra-Shoalhaven region.
- Provide access to jobs and other employment opportunities across the Aerotropolis and surrounding industrial lands.
- Provide access to the Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport.
- Support different transport needs including public transport, walking and cycling options.
- Enable freight to move efficiently and safely.
- Support urban development across the Wilton and Greater Macarthur Growth Areas and the Illawarra-Shoalhaven region.
- Facilitate great places, and provide certainty for investment across the region.
What does this mean for me?
There is still some work to be done before identifying a suitable corridor. There is no need for Transport for NSW to acquire land for the Outer Sydney Orbital Stage 2. This only occurs when the construction of transport infrastructure is approved and funding is allocated to progress early works which may be many years or decades away
Image credit: Josh Tredinnick
Consultation is now closed for the Outer Sydney Orbital Stage 2 corridor options between the Hume Motorway and Appin Road, south east of Appin township. This consultation was held between 16 November 2020 and 29 January 2021. Currently, the project team is reviewing all submissions made during the consultation period.